The different worlds of pure and Alpha-Beta titanium

Ours is a family business that has been providing specialist metal products and services for years. We often have the task of supplying titanium round bar and plate grade 2 merchandise. Regardless of the reason for buying it, we make sure you leave us with a high quality product.

A transitional metal

Titanium is a famous transitional metal perfect for countless products. Notable examples include tennis rackets, surgical tools, jewellery, and more. It possesses the strength of steel but with half the weight. If you compare to aluminium, it is twice as strong with just over 50% of the weight. Thanks to this, as well as the corrosion resistance, the metal is very sought after.

The thing about titanium is that there are multiple categories. We have the Alpha, Beta, and Alpha-Beta alloys. In addition, there are commercially pure grades. What we have done is produce a guide that will help you to understand some of the key differences.


Titanium alloys are a combination of two elements or more. The outcome leads to something that is more robust than each parent element. These alloys are famous for having two main phases; alpha and beta. You can then break them down even more into the subcategories. They would be Alpha, near-Alpha, Beta, near-Beta, and Alpha-Beta. It is the distinctions with the orientation of the molecules in the phases that offer the alloys their characteristics.

With the Alpha-Beta phase, it includes alpha and transformed beta molecules. It is vital to remember that these alloys co-exist too, and possess the capacity to be processed further. This will provide the user with a more diverse array of attributes. They make this the perfect metal for a huge number of applications.

Alpha-Beta alloys tend to contain elements like vanadium or aluminium. These let you use the titanium at high temperatures and also provide great corrosion resistance.

Pure titanium

These materials possess moderate strength and have a minimum of 99% pure titanium. The remaining 1% can be very small amounts of various elements, including iron and carbon. You will find a total of four commercially pure grades, Grade 1 to 4.

Commercially pure titanium grades possess 60% of steel’s density but have similar strength. The weldability, strength, and low density lead to them having multiple uses. With the applications, they might seem to overlap with several uses in aerospace. However, there is a difference here. Unalloyed pure titanium is used in sophisticated components thanks to its formability.

Compared to the Alpha and Beta alloys, pure titanium is softer and comes with a lower density. In addition, it is more ductile and quite formable. Not to mention, titanium rods, bars, and plates, have much higher corrosion resistance.

Contact us titanium round bar and plate in Grade 2

Brindley Metals is one of the most trustworthy titanium suppliers in the UK. Our team has an efficient, friendly, and fast approach to business. As such, you can expect nothing short of first class results from us.

So, if you require titanium round bar and plate grade 2 merchandise, please give us a call. We can also offer alloys and other grades if you find they offer better properties for your project.

Leave a Comment